29 October 2006

How much we take for granted

It's intriguing how much of our accumulated knowledge and experience we take for granted. I was recently asked by a friend to teach her how to use a sewing machine. She badly wants to make a quilt, but realises she needs to know how to sew with a machine first, so she decided to make a cushion cover for her new home.

Yesterday afternoon, she arrived with fabric, masses of fabric, because she had no idea what she was going to do. She had no concept of how a cushion cover could be constructed.

To be brief, she did make the cushion cover, using my sewing machine. She threaded the machine and she stitched, with me explaining every step of the way what to do and why. She knew absolutely nothing about the process before she started, yet after a couple of hours, she left with a perfectly functional and very attractive cushion cover. I haven't seen anyone that happy for a long time.

The exercise was interesting for me because, as someone with many years of workplace training experience, I was able to unconsciously apply that knowledge to teaching different skills. Having enjoyed teaching adults in the past, I realise that I still do find it satisfying. How much we take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)