25 November 2006

Larch shibori


Helen asked how the circular shibori patterns were made on the piece I showed last week. Here are my diagrams of how to form the stitching. Drawing is obviously not my best skill, so I apologise if they look a little rough.

You simply fold the fabric and stitch multiple lines in semi-circular shapes through both layers. Gather up the stitches and then dye the fabric. The diagrams here give you an idea of how to stitch a piece so that it is covered with circles, but for my piece I wanted a border. I made a single fold along a long strip and sewed four rows of semi circles along the fold, then gathered and dyed. That's all there is to it! Hope this helps, Helen.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that info. Your drawing is just fine. It looks really simple to do.

    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)