18 November 2006

Playing with colour

Yesterday, Brenda and I had a play day with dye. When she initially suggested a day together, I thought that it would be fun to do some shibori stitching and dyeing. I had just finished reading Janice Gunner's book, Shibori for Textile Artists, and wanted to experiment with some stitching. With hindsight, I think this probably marks the beginning of a new addiction.

Here are our fabrics, cooking in their bags in the sun after we had dyed them. Yesterday we must have been on the same wavelength, because we seem to have dyed an awful lot of orange.

I had success with my wavy lines of stitching - I think this is a subtle pattern that I'd like to explore further. My grid of horizontal and vertical lines was a dud - not a single pattern emerged after the dyeing was completed. Maybe I didn't gather the thread tightly enough?

Here is my success. This will make a beautiful border, with its long, single row of larch patterns. Well, they are actually lopsided (who knew I couldn't stitch a perfect semi circle?), but that adds to the appeal for me. Brenda made a single piece with allover larch patterns and it is glorious.

The colours shown here look a little lighter than they actually are. It is a brilliant day here in Sydney and the sun is beating down on my fabrics as they flutter on the clothesline. More pics tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the rich and vibrant colours you both made. I love the wonky half circles - adds character to the design!

Anonymous said...

Wow looks fabbo! Can't wait to see them for real. Nola

Tracey Petersen said...

Both of you have managed to make beautiful pieces. Will have to investigate shibori for myself. It looks very addictive!

Erica said...

Thanks for the comments. Tracey I think you are right - another addiction to add to the (very long) list.