10 January 2007

Back to work

Today was my first day back at work after the holidays. It was interesting to catch up with all my co-workers and share the stories of their holidays. Plenty of emails and packages were waiting for my attention, so the day passed very quickly but I still remembered to look for the things that made me happy.

Helen Conway left an interesting comment on yesterday's blog entry. She says: Did you know that research shows that people who keep a 'gratitude journal' (In which they write down each day 5 or so things they are grateful for) are happier than control groups who do not? It seems that those who do the journal actively look for good things to record and therefore focus on seeing the good in their day not the bad. I am grateful that you wrote your blog piece and reminded me of that.

Thanks Helen, I haven't heard about this before but it makes a lot of sense to me. I think it has to do with keeping a sense of perspective and not allowing the negative trivial things to rise to the surface and swamp the good things. Hmmm... I think I'll research this a bit further.

2 comments:

rooruu said...

Aiming to take/blog a photo every day has had the effect of making me more aware of the present, the world around, the stuff that otherwise drifts past your eyes and however much you may mean to remember it - you don't. And isn't an element of gratitude/thanksgiving the importance of being in the present, rather than focusing on the past (which you can't change) or the future (which you can't know)? So you enjoy the tomatoes, the rain, the music from the sky and all these are good things to make the present a happy place. I look back on a year's blogging and all those photos and find so many things I've enjoyed or learned from or which have just, simply, created a moment of happiness or pleasure.

Helen said...

Hi Erica

I see on QDU or SCQ (can't remember which one) that it has been your birthday. Hope you had a great day.