01 January 2007

One step at a time

I haven't felt this relaxed for a very long time and part of the reason is that I've applied one of my goals for 2007 - do not get overwhelmed by the size of a task. This is what usually stops me in my tracks. I see a job as being too complex or too difficult, so I run away from starting it at all.

Today I painted a door. Not a huge job, but one step towards the greater objective of finishing the painting of my kitchen. The door looks beautiful and I have a sense of achievement. Tomorrow, I may paint a cupboard.

I've been breaking down my current quilt into steps too. Today I did masses of cutting and stitching of fabric strips to make more pieces for my scrap quilt. Here's a photo of the first rows.

I want to make a bed size quilt from these strips and put a border around it. It is the simplest design, but I am having so much fun. I think I might make another one in blue, white and yellow - there is probably enough fabric in my stash to do that!

5 comments:

Pixie said...

You need to join flibbertygibbet's strip swap! Visit http://flibbertygibbet.typepad.co.uk/ and scroll down to 18 December. Your scrappy strips are beautiful, very restful.

Helen Conway said...

Moda are also starting to sell 'jelly rolls' of 2.5 inch strips of their new collections. I couldn't see the point when I read about them but I get it now!

Erica said...

Pixie - thanks for telling me about this swap.
Helen - I got a bit excited when I saw the jelly rolls. There is a beautiful Moda collection called 'Sunshine' at the Fat Quarter Shop (http://www.fatquartershop.com)that appeals to me. I think blue, yellow and white will be next.

Erica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracey Petersen said...

Erica the quilt is just lovely. Isn't it funny the little tricks we play to keep ourselves going? At night I have to focus on all the things I did achieve because, like you, sometimes the job seems too big. If I list what I have done I can keep going.

You are having a very productive holiday! Bet that door looks great.