06 January 2007

Sky orchestra

About 6.30 this morning, I was awakened by gentle melodies that drifted in through the open bedroom window. Thinking I was dreaming, I rolled over in bed but the music persisted. Then I heard the whoosh of gas and I sat up, thinking "what on earth is happening?". Of course, it was a fleet of hot air balloons that was drifting gently over my house - the Sky Orchestra!

The Sydney Festival was launched today - literally - with this lilting celestial music treat. As soon as I realised what was happening, I jumped up, grabbed my camera and ran outside to capture the scene. If I'd been thinking clearly, I would have videoed the event so I could play back the sound, but I was still half asleep. There's a review of the Sky Orchestra on the Sydney Morning Herald site. It's on again tomorrow morning, so I might try to capture it again. It was quite a magical way to start the day!

3 comments:

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

What a great way to wake up! Sure beats the alarm clock.

Lisa Walton said...

How lucky you are to live in the area. It would certainly we a wonderful way to start the day.

kathy said...

Sky Orchestra...a phrase that takes the mind wandering off but the image is more like patchwork clouds. I thought you were going to talk about the birds that are so chatty early in the am. Hey, check me out, I can comment now....k