10 February 2007

Did you miss me?

Here I am, back in the land of technology. All I can say is that it wasn't my fault and it wasn't my service provider's fault - it was that wonderful provider of phone lines that we have here in Australia. Doh!

I visited the Stitches & Craft Show in Sydney yesterday and bought a book I'd had my eye on since I first read about it. It's not new, but it came home with me anyway. I don't know about you, but I LOVE looking at other quilters' sewing areas. Probably because it allows me to picture how they work, but also because I often pick up good ideas for my own studio. Do you think the term 'studio' sounds a bit pretentious? Or should we all accept that 'sewing room' is a bit outdated, bringing to mind images of doing the mending?

Anyway, the book has great photos of work spaces. The one I like the most so far is a converted double garage where the roll-up door has been replaced with French doors and the whole space is used to accommodate a husband and wife who both quilt. Wish I had that much space!

3 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Erica

Of course we missed you! My friend bought that book and I read it from cover to cover - twice. The best thing I got out of it (apart from being envious of all the lovely matching cabinetry and tables)was a great way to fold fabric. The book suggested using a cutting ruler but I used a piece of cardboard which I cut to size so I can fit 3 piles of fabrics on each shelf. It took 4 days to refold my stash (not including the fat quarters which took another day and a half) and my friends think I am really sad but I love seeing my stash in neat, even piles and tidy. I can see what is there so much better. Yep - my friends are right - I am sad!

Di said...

I also have this book....love it. It was so inspirational. I don't have a separate sewing room yet...but one day it will happen...and I'll be ready!

Sooziii said...

Welcome back to cyber space! I get envious of all those lovely tidy sewing areas but isn't it great to peek into other people's areas?