26 April 2007

Inspiration is everywhere

I have to confess that nothing interests me less than making a textile piece that shows a realistic picture. I have no desire to replicate a photograph in cloth.

What intrigues me is line and colour, both of which are evident in this photograph I took last weekend. I love the way the grain of this timber has weathered, with deep cracks in some parts and a few ridges along the top. Some knots are obvious in the timber as well. The top of the timber is greyed as it has been exposed to the elements whereas the side retains more of the colour we normally associate with this material. The shading is subtle and enhances the texture. I was attracted by the solidity of the bench (for that's what it is - a bench made from a sleeper) which speaks to me of strength withstanding the weather. I just love it.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi Erica,
Just stopping by for a little visit. You are my "next door neighbor" on the Artful Quilters Webring.
Love your log/plank/bench...lovely photography.
Judy