06 April 2007

Tangelo Time

I like to enter the annual challenge organised by my State quilting Guild, whenever I can think of a design that responds to the challenge theme. This is my Tangelo Time, the quilt I made in 2004 for the 'Exotica' theme. It arrived home a few weeks ago, after travelling as part of a suitcase exhibition for the past two years.

In addition to responding to a theme, another requirement is that a challenge quilt be a specified size. I struggle with that sometimes because my quilts just want to be the size they need to be.

The theme for 2007's challenge is 'Looking Forward, Looking Back'. I guess this may be interpreted to reflect on the Guild's 25th anniversary this year. If you are interested in the members' challenge, you can find more information here.

Do you struggle with themes? I confess I don't have a single idea for this one. I'm not good at coming up with clever and witty designs but I always admire those who do. I had a fantastic idea for a past challenge but ran out of time to make the quilt. A friend reminded me that I could still actually make the quilt if I would enjoy to do so. That though has stayed with me and the idea is still on my to-do list.

4 comments:

Tracey Petersen said...

HMMM Right now I am struggling with my indulgence as a theme! Whose fault might that be????

Erica said...

Sadly, I'm not eligible to enter that challenge. What a terrible shame. :-) I can think of many indulgences that enhance my life - fabric, chocolate, magazines, fabric, books and, oh, did I mention fabric?

Caitlin said...

I LOOOOOVE themes! I really enjoy word play and puns, so anytime I see a challenge project my mind starts racing. Although I do need to EDIT my ideas extensively - I don't know that my first thoughts about the sale of indulgences by the medieval Catholic Church would have translated into a small quilt very well!!

Shelina said...

I too struggle with challenge quilts - limiting myself to size specifications or themes is hard. But I guess that is what makes it challenging. I too am working on a challenge quilt right now, and think I have found a wiggle room solution that will work.