11 April 2007

Techniques

Welcome to Kate, a new reader of this blog. She asked about my techniques for the Liberation quilt strips I showed yesterday.

There are no secrets to this. Use a rotary cutter to free-hand cut strips. Do not use a ruler. (This is Liberation technique number 1.)

Sew the strips together in random colour combinations, taking no notice whatsoever of seam allowances. (This is Liberation technique number 2.)

Free-hand cut the joined strips into lengths - mine are about 10 inches long. (
This is Liberation technique number 3.)

Play with them on the design wall and show photos to your friends!

Seriously, that's all I did. Now I have to look at the strips a bit longer, then decide how I want to arrange them and sew them together to make a small quilt. I won't be able to do this until the weekend so who knows what ideas may emerge by then?

1 comment:

kate said...

Thanks, from Kate in California- this is the kind of quilt making I am looking for! Really! I love the Gee's Bend quilts- and they certainly didn't have fancy equipment. Keep up the good work- will follow your blog now!(I have a couple of blogs- email me, and I will send them to you)