18 September 2007

The pursuit of excellence

Now I've seen everything. If you think quilters can be obsessed, you should see the series currently being shown on ABC TV here in Australia. Tonight was the turn of pumpkin growers in the USA - the lords of the gourd. Many of them treat their pumpkins as pets.

I was riveted as I watched the compulsion of these people, whose aim is to grow the largest pumpkin in the world. There are some absolute whoppers here! I was particularly taken by the pumpkin that grew supported on a small trampoline so that it could grow a rounded bottom instead of a flat one. Who'd have thought?

Check out this link to The Sydney Morning Herald review. Next week it's ferrets. Not sure about watching that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)