29 October 2007

Leaves

Since I haven't made anything new this week, I'm going to revisit some of my earlier work that I don't think I've shown here.

In 2004, Nola and I decided to make journal quilts so that we could try out different techniques and just play with ideas. Our quilts were A3 size, because we wanted something smallish, but still big enough to show off whatever we chose to try.

This is my second journal quilt. It has fused leaves on a background fabric; it is hand stitched with perle thread and free-motion machine quilted. What did I learn from this quilt?

1. Don't hand quilt with perle thread through fused fabric. Extremely sore fingers will result.
2. This is the first time I tried free-motion quilting. That's why I'm not showing you a close-up photo.
3. This is the first time I sewed mitred binding. All the bindings on my other quilts are made with strips on top and bottom and then strips on the sides.
4. This was the beginning of my orange phase. I still don't know where that urge came from.
5. Orange and purple - oh yes!

Nola went on to make more journal quilts than I did. I started a new job and suddenly didn't have the brain power to be creative at home. I did, however, make three other journal quilts that year and will show you (as soon as I can find the photos). So I guess a total of four in the year isn't that bad after all?

1 comment:

Nola said...

Wow was it really so long ago? I guess so. I should show some of mine on my blog too, shouldn't I? I still really like this one.