12 February 2008

Fun with selvedges

Today I tried something I have wanted to for ages. I cut a mass of selvedges - you know, the pretty parts with writing and little coloured spots - and stitched then to a piece of foundation fabric (I used quilters' muslin). They are easy to overlap - place the woven edge over the cut edge of the previous strip and stitch a line through all layers. This is the square after I stitched a variety of strips down.
Then I cut the square into four smaller squares. I placed a selvedge square with a plain fabric square, right sides together, and sewed around three edges. Turn them inside out, stuff with offcuts of batting and stitch the seam closed. Here they are - pretty little selvedge pin cushions. Aren't they fun?

Karen Griska has other ideas for selvedges on her website and good basic instructions for sewing them to foundations. She is publishing a book about this very topic later this year.

11 comments:

Lindi said...

They look great, Erica!
I have been saving my selvedges ever since Lissa did her ATC with them. I didn't want to copy her idea, as they're her ATCs, but this has opened my mind to more possibilities.

Pennie & David said...

There's no stopping you now is there Erica, you are very quickly off the starting blocks of your little break at home! Love the Pin Cushions!
Word Verification - lpwkszv
Longlegged People Will Keep Stealing Zany Violins!

Debbi Baker said...

Hi Erica - I came to your blog to look at your quilt (just delicious - love the woven sheers) but I wanted to let you know I love your selvedge pin cushions - so cute!!

Nola said...

Aren't they gorgeous! So clever.

Caity said...

Clever and fun- thanks for the link! Oh dear - now I will never thow out selvesges again - more clutter - I'll just have to be disciplined and USE them, won't I!

Lindi said...

I see Pennie has been here! I think I've started something with the word verification.
She's left them everywhere since I started the game/comp on my blog.
Would you like to have a go, Erica?

Liz Needle said...

What little beauties. Opens up all sorts of possibilities. Thanks for the inspiration, Erica.

Anonymous said...

WOW they look great.
Selvedges also make great cords. Now that is another idea for you to try now you have more time.
Delia

Lisa Walton said...

You are certainly taking to your new life with creative zeal - well done.

cat in tassie said...

These are so cute! I've never thought of keeping the selvedges to use. Might just have to start a new collection LOL.

日月神教-向左使 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,正妹牆,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站