20 August 2008

The Sydney Stitches & Craft Show

Too much stimulation this week! Today I went to the first day of the Stitches & Craft Show and learned many things.

I made a felted ball. Surprisingly easy to make, this type of wet-felting could be handy to make small pieces to embellish brooches.

I received a free apron. Perfect for those dyeing days.

I saw a demonstration of paper patchwork - small squares of decorative papers stitched together with zigzag stitch and then cut into larger shapes. Interesting demonstration that triggered some ideas.

I saw a couple of quilt exhibitions - The Australian Quilt Show (some interesting quilts), Machine Embroidered Quilts (I'm not into ornate flowery machine embroidery) and the quilts in the 2009 Down Under Quilts Calendar (I really like the winning cover quilt).

I enjoyed a fashion parade of clothes made from Perpetual Patterns, although I thought some of the clothing shapes were oddly proportioned.

I saw the Living Creatively area, where independent crafters gave demonstrations of their crafts and talked about how they made their products. This was a new area, that has potential to become a major part of the show, I think.

I met and chatted to some friends and basically had a fun day. Back to work tomorrow while I let all these creative stimulations work their way through my subconscious.

1 comment:

Miss 376 said...

You can pick up so much from these shows, sounds like a lovely day