04 October 2008

Current inspiration

So many interesting inspirations abound at present. I am absorbed in this new book from Wakefield Press - One magic square: grow your own food on one square metre. I have a copy from the library, but as soon as I started reading it, I knew I had to have my own copy. Neither my local Borders nor Dymocks had it in stock this morning, so perhaps I'll order it direct from the publishers.

What's so inspiring? Well, it's practical and realistic. No glossy photos of the ideal vegetable garden, with rows and rows of lush green vegetation. The author knows that local wildlife loves to eat vegetables and she has practical advice on how to stop it happening. (If you are a regular reader of this blog you will know that I am competing in my garden with a possum, so I hope some of the advice works. Sadly, they are protected animals in Australia - don't know why, they are real nuisances. Just ask New Zealanders how they feel about Aussie possums!)

Anyway, contributing to your own food supply by growing it in your own backyard is becoming more important. You can grow without pesticides and poisons and stagger the sowing to avoid gluts. Eating food grown a few metres from your kitchen is incredibly satisfying. If only I can beat the possum to it...

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi! Erica,

Sound like a sensible book for those who live with wild life (as we do) I think I will try for a copy. Thanks for the info.

Erica Spinks said...

Hi Judy,
Do you have a blog? I'd love to follow it if you do!

I don't want to lead you astray about this book. It's mostly about growing veggies, with handy tips along the way. Some of these tips are about how to protect the plants from animals such as rodents and possums, but that's not the main focus of the book.
Erica