09 January 2009

Quilty networking

I love the way our networks of quilters nuture our creativity. Let me tell you a story about my latest acquisition - I think it illustrates what I mean very clearly.

Last year I bought the book Collaborative Quilting by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran, mainly because I have admired Gwen Marston's work for many, many years (more about Gwen to come in a later post). This book exposed me, for the first time, to Freddy's quilts, in which she combines fabrics in an extraordinary way. It is a stunning book and I look at it most weeks.

A couple of months ago, Sarah showed me her copy of Freddy's House, a book about Freddy's home and her quilts featuring house blocks, published in 1999. Sarah had been tracking down a copy for ages and had finally acquired it. Drool.

I decided that I had to have the book, but it was very elusive, until I finally posted a message to my online quilt group, Scquilters, asking if anyone had a copy and was willing to sell. Kate in Queensland replied, saying she didn't have one herself, but the shop where she worked had a single copy in stock and would I like it? Would I! Thanks to Kate at Patches Indooroopilly, it arrived today and I am a happy woman.

See what I mean? How good is it that, through my network of quilting friends, I heard about this book (which is old in publishing terms) and then was able to acquire my own copy? Now I am poring over
Freddy's House and absorbing every page. I am so lucky.

(Gwen and Freddy have collaborated to produce another book, Freddy and Gwen collaborate again: freewheeling
twists on traditional quilt designs, which will be available about July - can't miss that one!)

7 comments:

Judy said...

Erica,

You are so lucky to be part of a network that led you to your Freddy's Houses (she said with envy). Will we see some houses in your quilts soon? Enjoy your book!

Erin said...

Its so funny how things work out that way.. I cant wait to see what you make from the book :) And I love the fabrics you posted about the other day!!!

Anonymous said...

Just look what discoveries have eventuated from linking with other creative souls! Have fun with your new book Erica - it will be great to what transpires from your housed thoughts!

Regards, from a crafty quilter.

Pamela said...

Just look what discoveries have eventuated from linking with other creative souls! Have fun with your new book Erica - it will be great to what transpires from your housed thoughts!

Pamela P

craftyquilting.blogspot.com said...

Just look what discoveries have eventuated from linking with other creative souls! Have fun with your new book Erica - it will be great to what transpires from your housed thoughts!

Pamela P

Crafty Quilting with Pamela said...

ust look what discoveries have eventuated from linking with other creative souls! Have fun with your new book Erica - it will be great to what transpires from your housed thoughts!

Pamela P

Anonymous said...

Just look what discoveries have eventuated from linking with other creative souls! Have fun with your new book Erica - it will be great to what transpires from your housed thoughts!

Pamela P