12 February 2009

Another focus

I'm not going to write anything more about the bushfires. I will still be thinking about them; their aftermath and their impact. But I just can't bear to write any more.

Instead, I want to introduce you to my current reading matter. I discovered the novels of Louise Penny in that time-honoured way - through browsing. I read her second novel, Dead Cold, first but then I realised it was part of a series so I then read the first book, Still Life. I am now reading the third, The Cruellest Month.


Louise Penny is a Canadian, whose first novel won two Best First Novel prizes and whose second novel won the Agatha Award for Best Novel. I am totally captivated by her characters.

All the books are set in the fictional Canadian town of Three Pines. It is a place that attracts people who are lost in some way; needing nurturing. The characters are well-developed and multi-layered.
Ostensibly, the books are murder mysteries that owe their existence to the much-loved type of stories as written by authors such as Agatha Christie. However, as Louise Penny explains about the fourth book, The Murder Stone:
"The book...isn't about murder at all. It's not about evil or jealousies or festering resentments, though all of those exist in the book. At its heart, The Murder Stone is about choices, and hope. And love. Enduring love."

Isn't this what life is all about?

1 comment:

Judy said...

Erica,

I like the sound of these books I shall track them down, I have followed a few of the titles you have mentioned and always found them a satisfying read, understand how you feel about the fires we all have a deep grief within us and words don't mend it.