21 March 2009

Quilter's Home

I have to say upfront that the writing style of the articles in this magazine irritates me immensely. Every time. A lot of the content doesn't interest me either, but I continue to read each issue because once I get past the folksy, 'cool dude' language, there is often something of interest.

One type of article I enjoy is about quilters and their sewing rooms. In this issue, we visit Alex Anderson's home and I was able to be a voyeur as I enjoyed the photos of her home space and read why she loved her home. My inner snoop was satisfied.

There is also an article about 'Shocking quilts'. Can't say I was shocked by any of them, but I know that other people may react differently and including some of these quilts in a public exhibition may be confronting for some.

While reading this article, I recalled Jenny Bowker's quilt, Secret Women's Business, which she made in 2000. You can see a photo and description of it on Jenny's webpage. It is a stunning piece of textile art, and certainly raised some eyebrows when it was seen. My opinion, though, is that it is a thoughtful exploration of women's sexuality.

It's difficult to know what some people will find shocking. Each viewer of an individual quilt sees it differently - she adds layers of her own life experiences to the viewing. She will also react differently, depending on her personal circumstances.

I know that this issue of Quilter's Home was withdrawn from sale in a chain of shops in the USA because of the 'Shocking quilts' article. My copy was bought here in a newsagency but, for the first time, it was sold in a sealed plastic bag, which I thought was ridiculous. Unless it was to shield people from that irritating style of writing?

3 comments:

  1. Oh but Dear Poppums what is wrong with the style?
    Love Bunnykins.
    PS Annoys me too but I agree about studios. Do you get the cloth Paper Scissors Studio Specials? Yunmmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...but, for the first time, it was sold in a sealed plastic bag, which I thought was ridiculous. Unless it was to shield people from that irritating style of writing?"

    OK, hands down, THIS is the most hysterical thing I've ever read! LOLOL xoxom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too find this magazine writing irritating and choose not to buy the magazine. At the book store I will enjoy the quilt photos and read any article that appeals, but lipinski does NOT appeal. So jr high, so immature, so in your face - hey we are quilters not groupies. If the 20's and 30's need to read these dribble editorials to be attracted to quilting I can only be glad that I am at the end of my quilt life rather than the middle or beginning. Whew, thanks for letting me get that out of my system.

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)