09 September 2009

Goodbye Narelle

Sad news filtered its way through the Australian quilters' network today. Narelle Grieve, who had been ill for many months, passed away early this morning.

Narelle was an inspirational quilter. After returning from a stint living in the USA with her family in 1986, Narelle began teaching patchwork and quilting. She subsequently became President of The Quilters' Guild of NSW Inc. Narelle had such an influence on the Australian quilt world - she instigated judged quilt shows in Australia, valued quilts and began a teacher accreditation programme for the Guild. Narelle wrote for Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine for over 15 years, won many prizes for her quilts and taught widely.

In 2004, Narelle was made a life member of
The Quilters' Guild of NSW Inc. The following year, she was the inaugural recipient of the Rajah Award, an award made for an outstanding contribution to Australian Quilting.

I have known Narelle for many years. She was cheeky, with a naughty sense of humour. You could always count on Narelle for calling a spade a spade - she was never backward in coming forward with her opinions. She was always encouraging and urged people to try new things. I was at the award dinner when she won the Rajah Award and I remember how totally flummoxed she was. After she made a dignified acceptance speech, she spontaneously burst into tears and was sincerely amazed that she had been honoured with the award.

Thank you Narelle for all that you gave to the quilting world and all the advice (often unsolicited!!) that you gave to me. Rest in peace - I will miss you.

17 comments:

deborah segaert said...

beautifully put Erica, hear, hear

Esther said...

Thank you Erica,
sad news for all uf us.
Esther

Fran C said...

I was lucky enough to meet Narelle at AQC when she gave a judging lecture at the Australian Council of Quilters conference. Her comments to me gave me the confidence so go outside the square with my quilting. Narelle will be sadly missed by the quilting community.

Sue said...

I didn't know Narelle but it is always sad when such a wonderful ambassador passes away. My thoughts go out to all her friends and family

Dee Soden said...

Nicely said.
She will be missed


D.

Sally Westcott said...

magic extinguished!

Sue Dennis said...

A very sad day for Australian quilting. Thoughts with her family.

Lisa Walton said...

She was an influence on us all in the Australian quilting world. She will be missed

Banaghaisge said...

Thank you Erica, a very moving tribute. She was a great inspiration to so many of us.
Hugs,
Jasmine

Lurline said...

Thank you, Erica - it is a wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady - all in Western Australia will miss Narelle, too!
Best wishes - Lurline♥

Jodie said...

Erika, what a lovely tribute. I suspect the Aussie Quilting world would never be where it is today without Narelle's influence. Thanks so much - you did a great job.

Sarah said...

I'm so very sad to hear about Narelle. She was such a lovely lady and always so giving of her time and advice. She will be very sadly missed.

Julia said...

Thank you Erica,
sad news for all uf us.
She will be missed..
Julia ♥

Isabella said...

Narelle will be sorely missed in the Aust Quilting World

auwombat said...

All I could say when I heard the news today was "Oh my God" over and over again... now God has not only another wonderful quilter but an exceptional human being amongst His flock whom many here will sadly miss

Helen said...

I never met Narelle, but her name is well known to me from all the copies of Australian Patchwork and Quilting I have. It is sad to hear of her passing.

Kathleen said...

Thank you for letting us know Erica...she was an inspiration and sounded like a wonderful person.