31 January 2010

Thriller reading

I haven't read a political thriller like this for a long time. It is very, very scary, mainly because it is so plausible.

Set in England in a few years' time, it explores how the meshing of corporate interests, current technology and the lust for power can result in totalitarianism by stealth. Some of the factors are already in place in today's society, which is why I can see that the fictional aspect could easily develop in real life - if we let it.

If you live in a democracy where individual privacy is respected and protected and you want it to stay that way, this novel will be an eye-opener. 

The title of the book made me recall the quote from Sir Edward Grey, the British Foreign Secretary, the day before Britain declared war on Germany in August 1914:  "The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime".

The Dying Light is a thought-provoking novel that shows how a country's democratically-elected government can go so very wrong and stomp on its citizens' entitlements. We've seen it before through history and there's no reason to think it won't happen again.

2 comments:

Frances said...

Erica, I always enjoy your book reviews and you have introduced me to some new authors. I look forward to reading more.

Alien said...

Youv'e caught me. Off to get a copy but I suspect I will be yelling at the pages!!