14 February 2010

It takes time

Those of you who write for publication know that the lead time can be quite lengthy. For me, that means that I often see my work published in magazines many months after I actually do the writing. I enjoy a sense of surprise when I see the published pieces - not only have I half-forgotten what I've done, but when I submit my work it is only words in a document, maybe with a few photos or diagrams. To see how it has been laid out into a published article - well, that's always exciting.

This leads me to share with you this brand-new magazine, Down Under Textiles. Edited and published by Deborah Segaert (also the editor and publisher of Down Under Quilts magazine). Back in October, I was fortunate to contribute a few pieces to the first issue of this new magazine and here it is! A new Australian title to hit the market - all about everything textile.

In this first issue, you can read all this:
  • Using Shiva paint sticks with Sue Dennis
  • Create a scarf with Sam Pope
  • Make a silk wall hanging with Cecile Whatman
  • Learn a welt felting technique with Gutermann
  • Lino print printing with Dijanne Cevaal
  • Make silk paper with Erica Spinks
  • How to use Lutradur with Dijanne Cevaal
  • How to use an embellisher machine with Fiona Hammond
  • Artist Trading Card gallery
  • Australian fibre artist Felicity Clarke shares her creative journey
  • Comments on colour from leading Australian artisans
  • How and why a journal can inspire the creative life
  • Plus more!
I'm so thrilled to see another interesting Australian magazine in our market. If you want to buy a copy, the details are on this order form. No matter where you live, you can have a copy, too!

Now, I'm off to investigate the tools needed for lino printing. Maybe I'll have to enrol in Dijanne's online lino printing course, too....

1 comment:

Michele Hill said...

HI Erica, Thanks for visiting my blog - I treasure your comments (XX)! And how exciting about this new magazine - great for the Art quilters appetites. My late Mum did lino printing for many years during the 1960's & 70's and I used to love watching her carve the lino design, stick it to a wooden block and then turn her creations into borders for aprons, tea towels and potholders!! She gave all her implements away long before she ever thought I might be interested!!