08 March 2010

I visit ATASDA

Last Saturday, I finally, I made it to an ATASDA meeting.  

ATASDA is the Australian Textile Artists and Surface Design Association and several of my friends have tried over the years to persuade me to join. It wasn't that I didn't want to join, but I kept thinking whether I really needed to belong to another group. I'm not much of a group person - my natural inclination is to enjoy one-on-one get togethers with my friends or to luxuriate in creative time alone.

So I ventured along with Deborah, and found myself in a room filled with creative women, all a-buzz. The place totally rocked. There were generous welcomes from everyone I met there and glimpses of interesting projects in progress. There were products for sale (yes, I did purchase a few of them) and ideas a-plenty.

Brenda was the guest speaker. She gave a wonderful and insightful presentation about the Twelve by Twelve project she has been part of for the past couple of years. It was an illuminating description of her creative journey and the synergy of the group. If you missed this opportunity, Brenda will be making another presentation at the 22 May meeting of The Quilters' Guild of NSW Inc (details are here). I highly recommend you come along if you are in Sydney on the day.

I left the meeting, clutching a membership form in my hand. Perhaps I do need another group in my life?

2 comments:

Sally Westcott said...

I'm green with envy!!!! I'm a member of ATASDA and all I have to hang onto is the website and the magazine! Oh how I wish I could go to meetings and meet all these amazing people! You are so lucky.

Hugz

Brenda said...

Thanks for the plug Erica! Incidentally, everyone who comes along to the 22 May guild meeting is invited to bring along any 12x12in (ish) quilt that they have made. We'll put together a mini exhibition to show how versatile this format can be.