26 April 2010

Threads

Later this week, I will be treating myself to a visit to AQC (the Australasian Quilt Convention). I will be on the hunt for threads.

Last year, I purchased this gorgeous thread - WonderFil Frutti, which is a 12 wt Eqyptian cotton. I bought it to use in my sewing machine but, instead, have found it is a pleasure to use for hand stitching instead of perle thread. I will definitely be buying different colours of this thread.

I am also on a mission to buy thread in a range of colours for hand applique. This is where I need help from all you needle turn applique enthusiasts. Which thread do you find the best for hand applique? I know many people use silk thread, but I want to stick with cotton.

So if you have a favourite cotton thread, can you please let me know the brand and weight? I'd also be interested in the reason you enjoy stitching with it.

6 comments:

paddysdaughter said...

I'm no expert, but when I did an applique class with Robyn Falloon, she recommended YLI silk #100 for needleturn, and a fairly small selection of colours, paticularly a smokey grey, which would do most fabrics.

Frances Leate said...

My preferred thread for needleturn is Mettler Heirloom Cotton which is a 60 wt thread - the finer the thread the more invisible it becomes.

I will be interested in trying the 12 wt thread you mention instead of perle. Thanks for the tip.

alobsiger said...

I'm going to be looking out for the Wonderfil thread too! For applique, I like Aurifil 50 wt but my absolute favorite is DMC 60 wt. The Mettler 60 wt is also nice. Let us know what you find!

Mrs A. said...

My stash of threads are all nearly 40yrs old!! My mother in law worked in a clothing factory and would bring me home all the old cotton/poly cotton spools as each colour range finnished. I'm still working my way through them. Just love that blue.

Squeaksqueal said...

I found a huge lack of threads at AQC last year, but I was not looking for Wonderfil. Have a great time down there, I wish I was going again, maybe next year.

PAMELA said...

Hi Erica,
My absolutely favourite (at the moment) is King Tut by Superior - however I mostly use it for machine free motion work and it sews like a dream. No breakages, good tention, terrific colour lines. Totally reliable.
I too will be on the lookout for thread options during my visit to AQC. Have fun there.