27 December 2010

Let's get cheery!

Australia has now slumped into summer, even though it's raining in many places, flooding all over the country and we are being flogged in the cricket. In parts of the northern hemisphere, snow has cut off towns and is isolating many people. Just as well we quilters have other distractions!

Want to make a cheerful quilt project? Over the next week or so, I'll post the instructions so you can make your version of my Sunshine on Roses quilt. Anyone is welcome to join in, so tell all your friends!

 

Sunshine on Roses measures 154cm x 164cm (60 1/2in x 64 1/2in). If you would like a larger quilt than this, simply increase the amount of fabric required and add extra rows. It is simple to construct - all squares and rectangles.

Fabric requirements
Make sure you choose an assortment of prints to add to the visual interest of the pattern. I chose the colours for this quilt after I noticed the effect of bright sunshine highlighting the intense pink rose petals in my garden.

You will need:
  • 1.6m (1 3/4yd) assorted pink prints for the blocks
  • 1.5m (1 2/3yd) assorted yellow prints for the blocks
  • 90cm (36in) pink and yellow print for the border
  • 50cm (20in) pink fabric for the binding
  • 1.8m (2yd) 240cm (94in) wide fabric for the backing
The amount of fabric listed above is based on 100cm (40in) width, as this is usually the
useable width after selvedges have been removed. The backing fabric, though, is wider. I
always wash and iron fabric before cutting. This is a scrap quilt, so the amount of fabric
stated is only approximate.


I used a variety of pink and yellow fabrics to create a bright pattern all over the quilt. You can use scraps - for the pinks, you will need 4 1/2in pink squares and four 1 1/2in x 4 1/2in matching pink strips and for the yellows, you will need 2 1/2in x 4 1/2in yellow rectangles and two 1 1/2in x 4 1/2in and two 1 1/2in x 6 1/2in matching yellow strips. 

This pattern is perfect for an I Spy quilt. Choose novelty prints for the 4 1/2in squares and the 2 1/2in x 4 1/2in rectangles and bright colours for the strips.

So choose your fabrics and get ready for a fun sewing project. 
I'll post the cutting instructions in a couple of days, so you can get that rotary cutter revved up!

3 comments:

Bec Clarke said...

That is a very pretty quilt. I am looking forward to seeing your quilt a long.

Selvage Quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt. Nice warm colors.
Right now we are having a blizzard. I live two hours north of New York City. The wind is howling and the snow is piling up fast. I love it. I don't know whether to sit by the fire or go sew. Maybe I should set up my machine by the fireplace. Haha.

Eva said...

Some extra sunshine in a somber time is very welcome. We're having the shortest days, the thickest clouds.