05 March 2011

Kona blues

My gorgeous Kona blue fabrics arrived this week - yay! From left: Carribean, Lagoon, Glacier, Turquoise and Cyan. Of course, these are for the quilt I abandoned earlier but I am sure I will find a use for these rich colours.

Into the washing machine they go before I handle them. Do you wash your fabrics before sewing with them? I have ALWAYS washed before use, not because I'm fearful of dye running but simply because I don't know where the fabric has been. I don't know what chemicals have been used in making the cloth; I don't know where it's been stored and I don't know what it has encountered in its travels. So there's NO WAY I will allow myself to cut and sew with it until it has a thorough wash (none of that wussy dipping and rinsing business) and dries outside in the sunshine. THEN I will start fondling it!

3 comments:

Lindi said...

I hadn't thought of it that way! :) I only wash colours that look suss about dye running.

Lindi said...

Oops! I meant to also say: I love those blues!

Pinky said...

oooo I love the Kona Solids!! I completely forgot to bring my colour chart on Saturday! Whoops! Next time we're both at Scquilters, I promise! :)