16 January 2012

Second Skin

I have waited for months to get my hands on a copy of this book, Second skin: choosing and caring for textiles and clothing by India Flint. It is such a substantial publication; hefty in size and weight but also in content.
 
I haven't made my own clothes for years. Instead, I have succumbed to the ease of buying new pieces off the rack and I have many perfectly good clothes that I rarely wear. I suspect I am not alone in this.

From the frontispiece of Second Skin:

"Almost from the moment of our birth, clothing acts as our second skin - yet we rarely consider where our clothes have come from and the effects they might have on the environment and ourselves. This heartfelt, practical and topical book is about easily achievable ways in which we can care for our planet by living simpler lives and using fewer of the Earth's non-renewable resources, specifically those to do with cloth and clothing."

As well as having fascinating and important content, the book is gorgeous. India's cloth is stunning and the photography and design of the book create the perfect complement to the text. I found it thoughtful and thought-provoking. One to treasure. 

1 comment:

Nola said...

I found this at my local library, strangely. Or not so strangely. How good they have two copies!

Happy birthday!