23 May 2012

Reflections on: life cycles

As a gardener, I'm always aware of the cycle of life. There's something reassuring about it - plant a seed, nurture it and watch it grow, flower and seed. The cycle starts all over again. 


It teaches patience and about the fragility of life.Of course, this applies to us, too.


I've been reflecting on this since I have a new neighbour at the football. You may remember that I wrote a couple of years ago about the death of Wally, who occupied the seat next to me at all our home games for eight years until he died at the end of the season in 2010. He made our lives richer and I've often thought what he would have said about the games we have attended since. I still think of him every time I enter our section of the SCG.


All the seats in our section are reserved, so we have become familiar with the other members of our red-and-white tribe who sit around us every game. The family that sits on Wally's other side expanded their numbers last year to include his seat as well as their regular ones. Occasionally, we all reminisce.


This season, we are delighted to welcome a new neighbour. Jackie's baby, born in January, arrived at our first home game in April, dressed from head to toe in red and white. He dealt with the noise and seemed captivated by all the movement around him. He's been to his second game since.
 
As the baby sat on my lap for part of the game, I thought of Wally and how he would have loved this. The cycle of life continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)