25 June 2012

Blanket progress

I have wanted to learn to crochet for a long time. My maternal grandmother was a skilled crocheter and every new baby that was born into our large family received a crocheted layette to start them off in life.

I lived through the crochet phase of the 1970s, when crocheted string bikinis and shopping bags were most fashionable.

Somehow, though, I managed to grow into an adult without learning any of these skills.

Several years ago I took a beginners' class, but came away without having managed to hook anything except this. I was discouraged, but still wanted to learn.

Now I am well on the way; trebling my way to a colourful stripey blanket. I'm in the groove with this stitch and hooking it is a pleasure. (Remember, I am only doing trebles at present - there are more challenges ahead!) I'm so happy with my progress so far.

1 comment:

PAMELA said...

Three cheers for your trebbles! Your grandmother would be smiling down upon you.