01 October 2012

My tribe

Most of us yearn to belong - to a group, to a community.
We crave the sense that together we are stronger than we are as individuals - 
that the whole can achieve what its components cannot.

We long to find our tribe, that place where we are accepted and cherished.

This is my tribe - the Sydney Swans.


To some, it may be only a football team. For those of you who don't like sport,
 or don't like this particular sport, you may struggle to understand my feelings. 
It takes a while, but if you opt into the culture, you will be richly rewarded.

First, a brief history lesson. This club has its roots in Melbourne. Formerly the South Melbourne Football Club, it was ailing and was moved to Sydney in 1982. 
It floundered in its new home for years but, regardless, many of us in Sydney adopted it as our own. I've been a supporter for all of those past 30 years.

This club cherishes its supporters. We are embraced as family. We suffer the lows - the number of losing games I've seen! Too many to count. We glow in the wins. We love the players in our teams as if they are our sons, brothers, grandsons.
 Their pain is our pain, their triumph is our triumph.


As we sit in the stands, we scream our support and groan our disappointment. 
We cheer and we cry. We wear the colours and make noise. There's not much certainty in professional sport but we have utter faith that the Sydney Swans players will not give up, no matter how hopeless the situation may seem.
They have opted in and it shows every time they play.

The Sydney Swans is my tribe. I am part of it and it is part of me. 


Now I'm counting the days until our first game next season...

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Lovely tribute to your tribe....it does explain so many things you have said and done the years I have read "you". Will the Swans be able to have shoes this year????

Robyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robyn said...

Great win by the Swans.Although not an AFL follower, I too belong to a "tribe" and totally get where you are coming from Erica. I have followed your neighbours, the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs for 50 years. We came so close this year to reaching the GF. Bring on 2013- robyn