13 May 2013

Pasty recipe

Thank for all the comments about how you store your recipes. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who tears them out of magazines but never uses them!

I never thought I would be sharing a recipe on this blog but, due to popular demand, here's what I did to make my beef and vegetable pasties. Purists who like to make everything from scratch, look away now.



 Ingredients:
  • a couple of slurps of olive oil
  • 125g beef mince
  • 1 crushed garlic clove
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 50g tomato paste
  • a couple of slurps of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup beef stock
  • a couple of handfuls of chopped frozen vegetables (I used corn, carrot and broccoli)
  • 4 sheets shortcut pastry
  • 1 lightly beaten egg

Method:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Heat the oil in a non-stick frypan. Add garlic, onion and mince. Cook until browned - use a fork to break up the mince. Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and stock. Reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes. Add the vegetables and cook about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.

Use a biscuit cutter, cup or plate to cut pastry rounds. I cut a large circle from each sheet to make four pasties; you might prefer to make more, smaller ones.

Divide the mince mixture into the number of pastry rounds you have cut. Place the mince mixture in the centre of the pastry. Brush pastry edges with the egg and fold over to enclose. Brush the pastries with egg. Place on baking paper on a tray and bake 15-20 minutes (depending on the size).

Comment:

I plan to make more of these, with different fillings. Spinach and cheese with pine nuts would be tasty, as would a sweet version with peaches.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making your pasties tonight - they sound delicious - thanks for sharing!
    But oh, that recipe file looks just like mine. Worse than that, I have more than enough cookbooks, plus a file full of magazine 'tearings'... as well as recipes downloaded, printed out and shoved in this folder!
    You've inspired me to cull my collection too. cheers, Cait

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Cait! Hope your pasties were tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)