10 October 2013

Thursday in my garden

I love the flowers on this vine so much. Years ago, I bought some seeds to start my own vine, but none of them germinated. Very sad.


I was at a friend's place a couple of years ago and noticed she had the flowers in bloom in her garden. I asked if I could take a cutting but, instead, she laughed and ripped a piece out of the ground for me and said it would grow like a weed. I planted it in my garden and it has never looked back. She was right!

It is the snail vine (Vigna caracalla). I love it because the flowers are so quirky and are the softest blue-mauve colour. It is easy to look after; I just cut off the sections that are growing where I don't want them. This encourages flowering. Isn't it a fun flower?

1 comment:

  1. I love snail vines too for their quirky flowers. It's great you you were able to get one, and it's all the more special because your friend gave it to you.

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)