17 July 2014

Speaking in code

A friend and I were in a coffee shop some years ago, discussing the blocks we'd recently received in a block swap. The waitress kept glancing at us and we couldn't work out why. It wasn't as if we were taking up a table for hours on the strength of a drink each. We were enjoying the lunch the waitress had delivered.

Then I realised: she had overheard me say, 'the geese fly clockwise'. No context, just 'the geese fly clockwise'.

Were we plotting to overthrow the government? Were we undercover agents, planning our next move?


No, I was just telling my friend how the colours in our Dutchman’s Puzzle swap blocks were to be arranged. We were speaking in code!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)