16 October 2014

Five novels that made me cry




Novels teach us a lot about human interaction: how we behave in particular situations, how we react to crises, and how we deal with our emotions. I have learned so much from fictional characters - thank you to all the authors who have created them!



This is a beautifully-written story about the grief of the headmaster and his wife, who live in an enclosed world. Their unravelling is harrowing.

Read about this book on Goodreads.




This provides such a wonderful look into the life of Frank Derrick. It's a funny, sad, yet uplifting story about an ordinary life. Let's face it, most of us live ordinary lives yet many don't live to be 81. Really shows that everyone responds to a kind gesture.

Read about this book on Goodreads. 




This is one of my all-time favourite novels. The story of a teenager's murder, recounted by the teenager herself, it could be soppy but it's not. Beautifully written, it is full of the complexities of family relationships and the need for answers.

Read about this book on Goodreads. 


 

This story combines moral dilemmas with a woman's urge for fulfilment and her husband's conflicted desire to understand. It is so easy to be swayed by the decisions each of them makes.

 

Read about this book on Goodreads. 



If ever there was a story that demonstrates how resilient we can be when challenged, this is it. Written as a series of exchanged letters, this novel celebrates the human spirit.

Read about this book on Goodreads.


Well, these are my top five novels that made me cry. What are yours? Please share in the comments section so we can all sob along together!


1 comment:

  1. I will never forget when I realised the power of a story when as an eight year old I so bed over Judy's death in Seven Little Australians. The book remains as a favourite as it gave me my life long love of reading. I love how the written word can transport me.

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)