25 October 2014

Five ways to enjoy blogging

Do you remember when you first started your blog? How it all seemed exciting to be sharing your thoughts with the world? I wonder if you still feel that way.


I started this blog in 2006, which seems a long time ago. I was working full-time as Editor of Down Under Quilts and was enjoying sharing the stories and projects of Australian quiltmakers in the magazine. I discovered that it was the storytelling that enthralled me the most - how was a quilt made, what did it encompass, why did people make particular decisions. 

I realised that I had stories, too. I started Creative Dabbling to share those stories.


After blogging for so long, I know that 'blog fatigue' is real. It's so difficult to keep writing but it's also a great pleasure. Here are five ways that may encourage you to keep sharing your stories with the world.

1. Don't apologise for being yourself.

This is my most important advice. You are unique. Many people may not like you nor agree with what you say and that's okay. I write this blog for pleasure, not to make money or to influence people. I'm not in a competition and my idea of 'success' may not be the same as yours. That's okay, too.

Don't compare yourself to other bloggers and stop reading blogs that make you feel inadequate. I wrote a few months ago about resisting peer pressure. Just be yourself.
 

2. Be multi-dimensional.

I've never met a one-dimensional person because they don't exist. Everyone has a range of interests, experience and expertise. Let these come through in your writing. If you want to focus your blog on a single subject, you can still do that but not to the exclusion of the other parts of you. We are all human and have multi-dimensional lives.
 

3. Plan your posts (or not).

Decide what works best for you. After eight years of blogging spontaneously, I started planning my posts last month. It's working well for me so far because it is giving me the illusion that I have some control in my life (and because I like printing a calendar of each month and filling it with words - shallow, I know!).

I'll continue to do this until the end of the year. By then I should know if it works for me. Try it and then decide - that's my motto.

4. Love your workspace.

I always find I can write better in a well-organised workspace. I sit on a comfortable chair at my computer, which is on a white desk. I love the strong contrast between the black of the computer and the white of the furniture. I'm happy there, sometimes with a mug of milky coffee but, more frequently, with plenty of water.

You may prefer to work on a laptop ot tablet in a public space, with the sounds of conversations around you. It's your choice.

5.  It's your blog so enjoy it.

If you don't enjoy writing on your blog, why are you doing it? There are plenty of different activities you could be enjoying instead. Think about your motivations carefully - you may decide it's not for you any more. That's your choice.

If you do decide to continue (or start a new blog if you haven't done it before) - take pleasure in it. Write mindfully, share what you want to share and, most importantly, enjoy it! 


Do you enjoy blogging? Leave a comment and share your stories, too.

10 comments:

  1. Just what I needed Erica. I've been having trouble getting to do a regular post since I joined FB but you've given me some ideas to be more organised with my time.
    Thanks heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've followed your blog for a while now and always enjoy what you have to say but this post, I feel, is extra special and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and taking on board the points you make. Food for thought over this long weekend here in NZ, and I shall certainly be giving myself time to evaluate my approach to my blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris. We all have the same number of hours in the day but I wish I could be as productive with my designing and sewing as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen, thank you for your kind words. I enjoy reading your blog, too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love reading your blog. Always full of interesting ideas!!!! I did try blogging but felt it wasn't for me. Coming up with ideas about what to blog, was it actually worth it and anyone reading it??? Sometimes it feels like your not a proper crafty person if you don't blog - there is that pressure within our community to do what everyone else is doing!
    Which is why I enjoy reading creative dabbling - I get encouraged to do my own thing!
    Thanks Erica and see you Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Stephanie. That's a really important thing to learn, isn't it - that each one of us should do what works for her and not feel obliged to do something just because 'everyone else' is doing it. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your blog by chance but you now have a new follower. Your words rung true for me and have renewed my enthusiasm. Blogging helped my brain heal and renewed my love of crafting by being in touch with like minded bloggers. I started to blog after brain surgery following a stroke 5 years ago.
    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment Pauline. I'm glad that you found something here that resonated with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like those before me - I enjoyed your post & I have to remind myself that I write my blog for me (initially) & if others get some enjoyment, entertainment from it - that's great! Thank you, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Chris - how lovely to hear from you! I'm glad you found something of use in my post.

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)