01 March 2015

Hello March!

Only one more month of heat and humidity to go, before the weather in Sydney starts to mellow. Counting the days!


I've never understood why we persist with irrelevant northern hemisphere season names in Australia. The climates across our huge country are diverse and do not translate to consistent naming of seasons. Aboriginal Australians have much more complex descriptions of seasons here, as they relate to the geographical area and what occurs on the land at each time of the year. It's all about observing what goes on around you.

The flowers in my photo are of my crepe myrtle. We've had a cloudy few months, and my tree first flowered in early December, which was very early. I thought that meant it was over for the season but no! It has been in full bloom again for the past few weeks and the neighbourhood has been enjoying the gorgeous pinkness of the petals. Lovely.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the Aborigines had/have a much better method of naming the seasons! However, I always think that the actual Northern Heminsphere scheme works better than the simplified method we have here. Here, as you know, each season is three months long, from the 1st day of the first month to the last day of the third month, In the UK, certainly, and I presume in other places, the seasons take place this way- from solstice to equinox, from equinox to solstice, and so on. Such an arrangement makes more sense here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's odd how we use a calendar-based method of defining our seasons. Observance of nature makes much more sense.

      Delete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)