18 March 2015

Lucy Boston quilt

If you do an internet search on "Lucy Boston" you will find thousands of hits about her novels, most famously the Green Knowe series. You will also discover many links to her patchwork quilts. made famous through her daughter-in-law's book, The Patchworks of Lucy Boston

I've long admired Lucy's Patchwork of the Crosses quilt and finally succumbed on the weekend, when I purchased templates. I opted for the two-inch size (rather than the smaller one-inch set) because I wanted larger pieces to hand-piece. No EPP for me!



I'll be using a variety of black and white prints plus solid turquoise. Here's my first block, which was a breeze to piece. (The background in this photo is a rug - not the fabric I'll be using in the quilt.) This is the perfect sewing project - cut a block in the morning and sew it in the evening. Brilliant.

8 comments:

  1. I'd never do one myself but those in the know say to piece a few of the joining blocks as you go rather than leave them all to the end. They are quite boring after the delights of the cross blocks. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my plan exactly, Chris! Otherwise I'll just have yet another pile of blocks. :-)

      Delete
  2. Morning cutting and evening sewing - sounds like a perfect plan. I do love your first block. That blue really pops. I look forward to seeing your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anorina! More pictures will come for sure as my quilt progresses.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of her before so thanks for sharing. I'm going to google her now. Your block looks really good. Let us see how it all turns out in the end. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, there are quilters all around the world making Patchwork of the Crosses! I hope you've come across photos of some of them.

      Delete
  4. I'm doing one as well - 1 1/2 inch EPP blocks then appliquéd onto a background. I'm using very modern (and clashing) fabrics! It's a bit of an eye bleed lol.

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)