04 May 2015

The seduction of labyrinths

In one of those coincidences that often seem to happen in life, I chanced upon a television program about labyrinths on the same day I found out that it was due to be World Labyrinth Day a few days later. My curiosity was piqued, so I made some enquiries.

First, let's understand what a labyrinth is (and isn't). It is not a maze. A maze is a puzzle that has multiple branching paths and directions - not all lead to the centre. It is possible to get lost in a maze.

In a labyrinth, a single path leads to the centre. It is not possible to come to a dead end in a labyrinth. In modern times, a labyrinth is a pathway used for contemplation and walking meditation.



This photo is of the new labyrinth in Sydney's Centennial Park. You can read more about it here. It was this labyrinth that was the subject of a recent Compass program on television; a fascinating story. You can catch up with this episode here.


I imagine it would be a brilliant place for quiet reflection, so a simple walk here is now on my must-visit list.

5 comments:

  1. I first learned about the Sydney labyrinth from the Spirit of Things program on Radio National. The audio of Ladies of the Labyrinth is still available at:

    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/spiritofthings/ladies--of-the--labyrinth/6127862

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. Will check it out!

      Delete
  2. I have made a labyrinth for the Gympie (Qld) Fibre Arts Exhibition due to be held at the end of June. Our theme is "Pathways" and mine is based on the famous one in Chartres Cathedral. There is an excellent labyrinth in Wellington (New Zealand) in the grounds of the hospital which was the first time I had come across the spiritual use. I chanced upon the programme on Compass and was blown away by the coincidence too! There is a lot of information on the net..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your labyrinth, Maggie. Is there a link to a photo you could share?

      Delete
    2. perhaps after the exhibition!

      Delete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)