08 June 2015

Three things I like this week

It's important to take notice and appreciate each moment in your life. Here are three things I like this week.
 
1.  Jonquils. I usually forget to plant bulbs but I love the sight of these frilly petals when they bloom in winter. These ones are from the local florist and I pretend they are grown just for me. And the perfume - so delicious! 



2. This article in The Guardian by Richard Flanagan: Triggs was attacked for defending the powerless – and one day another PM will apologise for it

Let's get serious here. We have to stop being facilitators of this appalling treatment by the Australian government. We all know it's happening so why do we let it continue? These are real, live people we are talking about - try to imagine yourself in their situation. Wouldn't you want to be treated with decency? 

To quote from Flanagan: 
"One day, many years from now, another prime minister will stand up and to a teary gallery apologise for the damage done to refugees in detention. We will be told that we didn’t know then what we know now. We will hear testimony of destroyed lives. But we did know. We always knew. We just chose not to hear and to silence those who tried to remind us of the truth." 

Never forget this quote from Edmund Burke: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do you want to be one of those people who knew but did nothing to stop it? 
 
3. My home-grown sweet potatoes. Yes, this is the complete crop (don't laugh!). I'm a long way from self sufficiency (ha!) but we all have to start somewhere, I guess. I plan to roast these with onions and carrots and then eat them with enthusiasm. Yum.

 


  What things do you like this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)