25 August 2015

Three things

The three things I like this week just happen to be books. I haven't finished reading any of these but I'm well into them enough to know they are worth completing.

1. Edible City by Indira Naidoo

Oh, this is inspiring. Indira visits five Australian rooftop gardens and shares the stories of how they started and what they offer their communities. The book also contains growing tips, recipes, and beautiful photographs.

 
 

2. Jacaranda Wife by Kendra Smith

Kendra kindly sent me an e-book version of her novel so I've been able to discover that it's so much easier reading my tablet in bed than it is reading a print book! I think I might have been converted to ebooks for bedside reading.

In the novel, Katie and her family are transplanted from England to Sydney so that her husband Tom can take a job he could never have been offered at home. Katie's reluctant to go and, once she arrives, she feels isolated and lonely, as well as suffering culture shock. That's as far as I've read but I'm keen to discover whether her life changes again and how she finds her way out of this situation. It's always a good sign when I want to read on! 



 

3. Free Range Triangle Quilts by Gwen Marston and Cathy Jones

Those of you who are regular readers of my blog know I am a HUGE fan of Gwen Marston's work. It's no surprise, then, that any new book by her is an immediate must-have purchase.

If you want to know more about using triangles in quilts, this book is for you. It has plenty of photos of quilts - some antique, some contemporary, and some wonderfully liberated - to inspire you. Love it.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love reading in bed on my ipad, if I can't sleep, I just turn it on and start reading no need for a light (and the hubster doesn't get woken)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a revelation to me (once I turned off the auto screen rotation). So much lighter to hold than a printed book and easier to hold in bed.

      Delete
  2. Just ordered Gwens book too. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it. I love the way she analyses old quilts for design tips.

      Delete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)