22 August 2016

Blooming

It's still August, so we have more cold weather to experience before we can safely say that winter is over. The past few sunny days we've had in Sydney have been replaced today by cold winds and rain. 

But the plants in my garden are starting to wake up. I'm always excited by the sight of buds because that means flowers will follow and, in some cases, fruit! The miracle of plant life continually amazes and impresses me.


Nemesia




I planted this nemesia last summer, to fill a gap in a garden bed. I was hoping for deep green foliage and a few pretty flowers but it suprised me with masses of blooms. I love the way it has spread and made its home among the other plants - it is so pretty.


Finger lime




You may remember when I planted my finger lime last year after a quest to find one in a local nursery. Well, look at it now! It's covered with tiny buds, some of which have opened this week to display the prettiest flowers. I know a lot will drop without fully developing into fruit but wow - what an impressive result! I feed it regularly with pellets of Gyganic for Fruit and Citrus, a fertiliser it obviously loves. Such a satisfying response.


Poppies 




My first poppy flower opened in the sunshine last week and I was there to photograph it after I had given the plant a drink. I adore poppies and a single punnet always gives me weeks and weeks of pleasure as I watch the buds break through their protective covering and unfurl to flaunt their petals and sexual parts. I always marvel that something so gorgeous can be such a complex organism.


So that's today in my garden. I eagerly await tomorrow, to discover what's developed overnight. What's happening in your garden right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)