26 September 2016

Spring citrus

I have a mandarin, a blood orange and a lemon tree, all in large pots. The lemon, a Eureka, provides fruit reliably for months on end. It's handy to have a lemon whenever I need one, without having to plan to buy one from the shop.

The mandarin and blood orange trees, though, only like to crop every second year. This year wasn't one of those years so I was a frequent purchaser at the fruit store.

Citrus are hungry trees. They respond well to regular feeding and watering so, each season, I load them with the nutrients they like best. Not only does it result in new, healthy leaves and copious flowers, as you can see on here my mandarin tree, but it also helps keep the tree healthy and able to repel insects.

That perfume! I love the gentle citrus scent from the flowers wafting across my garden.



Gyganic is my choice of food, watered in well with liquid seaweed extract. Then I add a layer of rotted cow manure and stand back to watch the growth! (Note to self: must cut off that dead twig.)

How are your citrus? Do they love food as much as mine do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)