Part of fleshing out the characters involves learning about work-related traits. This gives me a feel for the type of person I'm creating as I can work out what has attracted them to their professions. It's interesting learning about different types of jobs!
Please say hello to my character Greg, who is an architect.
- have excellent communication skills; they especially know how to actively listen and negotiate
- believe firmly in collaboration; they know that without their clients' vision and their design and building colleagues' skills, their projects will not be successful
- are creative thinkers; they can say 'what if?' and imagine potential outcomes
- are great with details yet can still see the big picture
- are flexible, adaptable, and patient
- have good drawing and sketching skills
- are curious; again asking the 'what if?' questions
- are multi-skilled, with knowledge of business, marketing, real estate, and construction
- have solid technical abilities; their buildings won't fall down
- are problem solvers; this ties in with being flexible
- are well organised
- have a passion for their work and a strong work ethic.
Are you an architect or do you know one? What other traits of this profession would you add to my list?